Hey guys, just had some things I wanted to share in the hopes of improving the next iteration if you get the opportunity to build upon the game again. I'm no professional, but I downloaded paint.net and tried to illustrate a couple of my ideas. Apologies for how long it is!
- Goal kicking: I'd like to split the forward half up into sectors based on the angle to goal, which impacts the size of the green section of the goal kicking bar. Harder angle/sector has a smaller green section. This would make the set shot stat more impactful as well, as higher stats would give a significant increase to the more difficult shots.
- Goal kicking 2: I would also like for set shots if we could have something similar to golf games, where they have the distance to goals with a little triangle symbol underneath. Then next to the kick modifier if we could have the maximum kick distance for the player for that kick type as well. Again, ties more noticeably into the player's kick distance stats and you get a better idea if you should hit another target or go for a torpedo.
- Player targeting: I would like a similar system to NBA2K games where you can hold a trigger button and have multiple targets highlighted which can be passed to using either the circle, triangle or square buttons. This would override the regular commands associated to the button when the trigger is held. With the number of players on field and congestion that exists, this would create greater fluidity with transition of the ball. If you use the R1 button (PS4) to highlight these players, then the kicking/kick power/handballing stats could be relative to that player's diameter/distance for available passes and give value to upgrading these stats for practical use in defenders/mids.
- Ruck: I would like for ruck contests to incorporate that same player targeting system as well, allowing you to tap the ball directly to one of the 3 players around the center bounce. Especially in co-op games, there are some issues with the camera angles impacting the direction players run, so this would give greater value to winning the ruck contest which in turn increases value of the rucking stat.
- Player leading: Due to some issues with locking onto players, I've found it hard to pass to players when they're leading. By implementing my player selection mechanic it would create greater efficiency with hitting passes quicker. But sometimes the players remain stationary and I can't get them to lead away from their opponent or congestion. Say the new player selection/lock system uses the R1 button (PS4), you could then click the R3 button (right thumbstick) to have the highlighted players lead. This would give multiple options and likely reduce the current meta of full forwards kicking 70% of goals and dominating man of the match.
- Team management: This needs to return to a single page for the starting lineup showing the full field of players in their positions. Then have bench players either below as you do now or even on the left hand side stacked vertically. The current scroll system is unintuitive and confuses a lot of casual players. My co-op buddy kept giving me the controller for this because they struggled switching between the bench and the different sections of field. Also don't have a button for the bench, just let players freely move between field and bench. Have that button assigned to the player's current match stats and/or overall player stats.
- Team management 2: Re-order the pause menu to have team management 2nd in the list. The order for menu options should be based on frequency of use and importance, so it should be Return/Team Management/Match Objectives/Options/Instant Replay etc. Team management NEEDS to be included in quarter time breaks as well. I should be able to start a quarter with the lineup I select, not have to start a quarter with tired midfielders and have them get outrun because of empty stamina before they finally go to the bench.
- Slider settings: Have the User and CPU settings columns side by side so that players can compare the settings and easily make adjustments without having to change menus and scroll each time they change something. This would make it much clearer.
- Experience points/Training: I would personally scrap the current training system or heavily modify it. It needs to reward far less points than currently, because the stats become inflated too easily and too quickly, making everything besides running speed and kick power basically redundant. The game's mechanics should tie in more directly to certain stats and give a reason to increase them. like with the increased diameter/range for player selection/lock when passing, goal kicking meter as mentioned etc.
To improve this, I would tie experience points to game performance (give experience points of specific value for each action ie. handball, kick, hitout, goal, mark, spoil etc) and senior (AFL level) appearances, which then are further multiplied by the difficulty level being played on and the staff level for coaches for that position. Again, this gives tangible value to the staff feature. For reserves players, just give them a base amount of Exp each week at a base level, giving incentive to play them, have them involved in the game and improve them. Or you could just simulate their statistics for the reserves games and then maybe have a penalty multiplier like x 0.8 so that they earn Exp at a reduced rate.
- Past fixtures: I'd like to be able to look at the full results for past fixtures, including the Man of the Match votes for each game so that I can see if my players have a chance at winning the Brownlow medal or not towards the end of the season.
- Mini game: The practice mode would be perfectly suited to an 'Around the World' or 'Horse' type mini game which you can play with friends or simply use to improve your goal kicking.
ANYWAY, love to hear anybody else's thoughts on these ideas. Apologies if I'm re-treading old ground as well, I was recommended to post here from another forum so I haven't done any reading yet.